Alfred Charles de Rothschild(1842-1918), Banker; Director of the Bank of England; Trustee of the National Gallery and the Wallace Collection; son of Lionel Nathan de Rothschild, Baron de Rothschild
Sitter in 7 portraits
by Henry Jamyn Brooks
oil on canvas, 1889
by Camille Silvy
albumen print, 22 September 1861
by Sir Leslie Ward
chromolithograph, published in Vanity Fair 31 May 1884
after Henry Jamyn Brooks
photograph, 1919 or after
- Anthony Gustav de Rothschild (nephew)
- Evelyn Achille de Rothschild (nephew)
- Leopold de Rothschild (brother)
- Lionel Nathan de Rothschild (father)
- Lionel Nathan de Rothschild (nephew)
- Mayer Amschel de Rothschild, Baron de Rothschild (uncle)
- Nathaniel Mayer ('Natty') de Rothschild, 1st Baron Rothschild (brother)
- Lionel Walter Rothschild, 2nd Baron Rothschild (nephew)
- Nathaniel Charles Rothschild (nephew)
- Nathan Meyer Rothschild (grandfather)
Watch our playlist exploring scientific techniques used by the Gallery to unlock the secrets behind our Tudor portraits.
Subjects and themes
Search the collection by themes - from pets to weddings!
Black History Month
Take a tour exploring our Collection created by Alayo Akinkugbe for Black History Month in 2020.
A Picture of Health
Learn about pioneers in medicine, health and social reform from 1840 to 1920.