Charles Sackville-West, 4th Baron Sackville(1870-1962), Major-General
Sitter in 3 portraits
Major-General; fought with distinction in the Boer War (1899-1900); during 1914-18 War mentioned in despatches five times, wounded twice; British Military Representative of Allied Military Committee of Versailles, 1918; Military Attaché in Paris (1920-4).
by Anthony Wysard
pencil and gouache, 1936
by Bassano Ltd
whole-plate film negative, 24 May 1934
- Lady Arabella Diana Bannerman (née Sackville-West) (aunt)
- George John Sackville-West, 5th Earl De La Warr (grandfather)
- Charles Richard Sackville-West, 6th Earl De La Warr (uncle)
- Reginald Windsor Sackville, 7th Earl de la Warr (uncle)
- Diana Joan (née Sackville-West), Lady Hall (formerly Lady Romilly) (daughter)
- Lionel Edward Sackville-West, 3rd Baron Sackville (brother)
- Anne Sackville-West (née Meredith), Lady Sackville (wife)
- Edward ('Eddy') Sackville-West, 5th Baron Sackville (son)
- Victoria Mary ('Vita') Sackville-West (niece)
- Mary Catherine (née Sackville-West), Marchioness of Salisbury (later Countess of Derby) (aunt)
Visit From Your Armchair
Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize
An online exhibition celebrating the very best in contemporary portrait photography.
Explore our community photography project, which presents a personal record of the UK during lockdown.
Sculptures in 360°
See sculptures and fascinating objects from our Collection from all angles.
David Hockney: Drawing from Life
Watch highlights from our special exhibition, which had to close early in March 2020 due to lockdown.