Thomas Wriothesley, 4th Earl of Southampton(1608-1667), Lord High Treasurer
Sitter associated with 12 portraits
Lord High Treasurer, 1660-7 and son of Shakespeare's patron. Pepys knew Wriothesley well and found him a 'very ready man' and 'brave servant to the king' but with usual attention to detail Pepys complained of his habit of wearing his fingernails too long.
- Elizabeth Montagu (née Wriothesley), Countess of Montagu (daughter)
- Henry Wriothesley, 3rd Earl of Southampton (father)
- Elizabeth Wriothesley (née Vernon), Countess of Southampton (mother)
- Rachel Wriothesley (née de Massüe), Countess of Southampton (wife)
- Elizabeth Wriothesley (née Leigh), Countess of Southampton (wife)
Develop your art skills
Discover our BP Next Generation short films made by artists. Follow step by step guides in drawing and painting techniques.
Hold Still photography workshop
Reflect on your own experiences of lockdown through this easy-to-do from home, photographic exercise.
Draw Like a Renaissance Master
Revisit The Encounter exhibition and learn about Renaissance and Baroque drawing methods and materials.