Lytton Strachey(1880-1932), Critic and biographer; son of Sir Richard Strachey
(Giles) Lytton Strachey
Sitter in 143 portraits
Artist associated with 5 portraits
The son of a soldier administrator in the Colonial Service, Strachey went to Trinity College, Cambridge in 1899. While at Cambridge, Strachey joined the ranks of the 'Apostles', a select group including Roger Fry, Maynard Keynes and E.M. Forster. These individuals later formed the nucleus of the Bloomsbury Group, and Strachey remained a central figure throughout the heyday of Old Bloomsbury, prior to the outbreak of the First World War. His iconoclastic biographical essays Eminent Victorians (1918), set a new standard for biography for the twentieth century, and Elizabeth and Essex (1928), about Queen Elizabeth I, was influential in the way it mixed biography with fiction.
More on Lytton Strachey: The Bloomsbury Group book in our Shops
- Dorothy Bussy (née Strachey) (sister)
- Jane Simone ('Janie') Bussy (niece)
- Elinor Rendel (née Strachey) (sister)
- Elizabeth Rendel (niece)
- Frances Elinor ('Ellie') Rendel (niece)
- William Vincent Rendel (nephew)
- Barbara Strachey (Hultin, later Halpern) (niece)
- Christopher Strachey (nephew)
- James Beaumont Strachey (brother)
- Jane Maria (née Grant), Lady Strachey (mother)
- Sir John Strachey (uncle)
- John Strachey (nephew)
- Julia Frances Strachey (niece)
- Marjorie Strachey (sister)
- Oliver Strachey (brother)
- Olivia Strachey (sister)
- (Joan) Pernel Strachey (sister)
- Philippa ('Pippa') Strachey (sister)
- Ralph Strachey (brother)
- Sir Richard Strachey (father)
- Richard John Strachey (brother)
- Richard Philip Farquhar Strachey (nephew)
- Ursula Margaret Wentzel (née Strachey) (niece)
Listen to a series of podcasts exploring the lives of pioneering women, past and present.
William Eggleston was closely associated with the alternative music scene in Memphis. Revisit our 2016 exhibition and listen to a special playlist.
Links to audio and transcripts of interviews with artists, sitters and historic recordings.