James Smith Stanley, Lord Strange(1717-1771), Son of 11th Earl of Derby; husband of Lucy Stanley (née Smith)
Sitter associated with 3 portraits
- Edward Stanley, 11th Earl of Derby (father)
- Elizabeth Stanley (née Hesketh), Countess of Derby (mother)
- Edward Smith Stanley, 12th Earl of Derby (son)
- Edward Smith Stanley, 13th Earl of Derby (grandson)
- Lucy Stanley (née Smith) (wife)
- Sir Thomas Stanley, 4th Bt of Bickerstaffe (grandfather)
- Mary Margaret Egerton (née Stanley), Countess of Wilton (granddaughter)
Watch our playlist exploring scientific techniques used by the Gallery to unlock the secrets behind our Tudor portraits.
Subjects and themes
Search the collection by themes - from pets to weddings!
Black History Month
Take a tour exploring our Collection created by Alayo Akinkugbe for Black History Month in 2020.
A Picture of Health
Learn about pioneers in medicine, health and social reform from 1840 to 1920.