Sir John Vanbrugh(1664-1726), Architect and dramatist
Sitter in 11 portraits
John Vanbrugh was a playwright, architect, soldier and garden designer. His landscapes at Stowe House, Claremont and Castle Howard combined the straight lines and geometrical flowerbeds of seventeenth-century garden design with new experiments in open views. An accomplished architect, Vanbrugh included temples, monuments and mausoleums in his gardens, many of which were based on Greek and Roman prototypes.
Explore the portrait of Sir John Vanbrugh by Benjamin Wyon (NPG D2930) from all angles
- Blenheim Palace, Woodstock, Oxfordshire
- Castle Howard, York, North Yorkshire
- Claremont Landscape Garden, Esher, Surrey
- Grimsthorpe Castle, Park & Gardens, Borne, Lincolnshire
- Seaton Delaval Hall, Morpeth, Northumberland
- Sir John Vanbrugh in the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
- Stowe Gardens, Buckingham, Buckinghamshire
Read our latest news and have your say.
Identify our Silhouettes
Join enthusiastic contributors who have already identified 155 sitters.
Tell us more about our Silvy sitters
Help us identify the sitters who visited Camille Silvy’s photographic studio during the 1860s.