Sir John Vanbrugh(1664-1726), Architect and dramatist
Sitter in 11 portraits
John Vanbrugh was a playwright, architect, soldier and garden designer. His landscapes at Stowe House, Claremont and Castle Howard combined the straight lines and geometrical flowerbeds of seventeenth-century garden design with new experiments in open views. An accomplished architect, Vanbrugh included temples, monuments and mausoleums in his gardens, many of which were based on Greek and Roman prototypes.
Explore the portrait of Sir John Vanbrugh by Benjamin Wyon (NPG D2930) from all angles
- Blenheim Palace, Woodstock, Oxfordshire
- Castle Howard, York, North Yorkshire
- Claremont Landscape Garden, Esher, Surrey
- Grimsthorpe Castle, Park & Gardens, Borne, Lincolnshire
- Seaton Delaval Hall, Morpeth, Northumberland
- Sir John Vanbrugh in the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
- Stowe Gardens, Buckingham, Buckinghamshire
Make a donation
Support our Making History appeal and help us transform the Gallery.
A unique range of books, accessories and gifts. Every purchase supports the Gallery’s work.
Bring a familiar face home
Refresh your home gallery with a huge selection of custom art prints .