Sir John Vanbrugh(1664-1726), Architect and dramatist
Sitter in 11 portraits
John Vanbrugh was a playwright, architect, soldier and garden designer. His landscapes at Stowe House, Claremont and Castle Howard combined the straight lines and geometrical flowerbeds of seventeenth-century garden design with new experiments in open views. An accomplished architect, Vanbrugh included temples, monuments and mausoleums in his gardens, many of which were based on Greek and Roman prototypes.
Explore the portrait of Sir John Vanbrugh by Benjamin Wyon (NPG D2930) from all angles
- Blenheim Palace, Woodstock, Oxfordshire
- Castle Howard, York, North Yorkshire
- Claremont Landscape Garden, Esher, Surrey
- Grimsthorpe Castle, Park & Gardens, Borne, Lincolnshire
- Seaton Delaval Hall, Morpeth, Northumberland
- Sir John Vanbrugh in the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
- Stowe Gardens, Buckingham, Buckinghamshire
View a wide collection of video content on our YouTube channel from past projects to our latest films.
Artist and sitter interviews
Get insights into creating portraiture from BP Portrait Award 2020 artists and their sitters.
Watch our film created to say ‘goodbye’ to the Gallery before we closed for our major transformation project.