Horatio Walpole, 1st Baron Walpole of Wolterton(1678-1757), Politician and ambassador to France and the Netherlands
Sitter associated with 10 portraits
Diplomat and Whig politician. As an M.P. for 46 years and ambassador to the Netherlands and to France, Lord Walpole played a leading role in the 18th-century Whig supremacy most especially during his younger brother, Sir Robert Walpole's long reign as Prime Minister.
by Unknown artist
oil on canvas, circa 1695-1720
by Street, after L. Bond
etching, published 1744
- Robert Walpole, 1st Earl of Orford (brother)
- Robert Walpole, 2nd Earl of Orford (nephew)
- Horatio ('Horace') Walpole, 4th Earl of Orford (nephew)
- Horatio Walpole, 1st Earl of Orford (son)
- Horatio Walpole, 2nd Earl of Orford (grandson)
- Mary Walpole (née Lombard), Lady Walpole of Wolterton (wife)
- Sir Edward Walpole (grandfather)
- Galfridus Walpole (brother)
- George Walpole (grandson)
- Robert Walpole (grandson)
- Thomas Walpole (son)
Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
Test your memory by playing our matching pairs game. Three levels of difficulty make it fun for the whole family.
Regency familiar faces
Rearrange tiles to uncover sitters from the Gallery's Collection by playing our puzzle game.
Who do you think you were?
Answer a few lifestyle questions about the Elizabethan period and discover your inner Elizabethan!