George Frederic Watts(1817-1904), Painter and sculptor
Sitter in 43 portraits
Artist associated with 92 portraits
Painter; won premiums at Westminster Palace Competitions, 1842 and 1847; visited Italy, 1843-7; his large allegorical works on universal themes appealed deeply to the Victorians, and he was considered to be the greatest English artist of his age; RA, 1867; married the actress Ellen Terry, 1864 (separated 1865), and secondly the artist and ceramicist Mary Fraser Tytler, 1886.
More on G.F Watts: Tennyson and his Circle book in our Shops
- The Watts Collection
- Room 26: Portraits by G.F. Watts
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - installation video
- 2017 Anniversaries
- Room 26: G.F. Watts Bicentenary
- Rebel women
- Room 25: Women, politics and domestic life in Victorian Britain
- Princes of Victorian Bohemia: Photographs by David Wilkie Wynfield
- Julia Margaret Cameron: 'Poets, prophets, painters and lovely maidens'