Samuel Wilberforce(1805-1873), Bishop of Oxford and of Winchester; son of William Wilberforce; Trustee of the National Portrait Gallery
Sitter in 84 portraits
Bishop of Oxford, 1845-69 introduced many reforms and improved diocesan organisation; dynamic energetic and intemperate, as shown by his unfortunate attack on Darwinian theories in 1860, when he attracted much ridicule.
- Agnes Everilda Mary Froude (née Wilberforce) (niece)
- Albert Basil Orme Wilberforce (son)
- (Bertrand) Arthur Henry Wilberforce (nephew)
- Caroline Mary Wilberforce (niece)
- Ernest Roland Wilberforce (son)
- Henry Edward Wilberforce (nephew)
- Henry William Wilberforce (brother)
- Sir Herbert William Wilberforce (grandson)
- Reginald Garton Wilberforce (son)
- Wilfrid Ignatius Wilberforce (nephew)
- William Wilberforce (father)
- William Wilberforce (brother)
- William Francis Wilberforce (nephew)
Become a Member
Enjoy access to special events, discounts on the Gallery online shop, supporters’ updates and much more
Bringing people together by sharing the portraits and stories of the men and women who have shaped our nation.
Sign up to receive information on exhibitions, collections and activities of the National Portrait Gallery, including special offers, shop products, and exclusive competitions.