Sir Christopher Wren(1632-1723), Architect and scientist
Sitter in 14 portraits
Architect and scientist. After the Great Fire of 1666, he rebuilt St Paul's Cathedral and many of the City churches; his other work includes the Sheldonian Theatre in Oxford (1664-9), Trinity College Library in Cambridge (1674-84), Chelsea Hospital and Greenwich Hospital (from 1696). He was Professor of Astronomy at Oxford and later President of the Royal Society.
Explore the portrait of Sir Christopher Wren by W. Wilson (NPG D2934) from all angles
Watch a film clip on the sitter from the BBC Archive in the Media section below
- Blue plaque, The Old Court House, Hampton Court Green, East Molesey KT8 9BS
- Hampton Court Palace, Surrey
- Kensington Palace, London
- National Maritime Museum, Greenwich, London
- Royal Hospital, Chelsea, London
- Royal Observatory, Greenwich
- Sir Christopher Wren in the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
- St Paul's Cathedral, London
View a wide collection of video content on our YouTube channel from past projects to our latest films.
Artist and sitter interviews
Get insights into creating portraiture from BP Portrait Award 2020 artists and their sitters.
Watch our film created to say ‘goodbye’ to the Gallery before we closed for our major transformation project.