Sir Christopher Wren(1632-1723), Architect and scientist
Sitter in 14 portraits
Architect and scientist. After the Great Fire of 1666, he rebuilt St Paul's Cathedral and many of the City churches; his other work includes the Sheldonian Theatre in Oxford (1664-9), Trinity College Library in Cambridge (1674-84), Chelsea Hospital and Greenwich Hospital (from 1696). He was Professor of Astronomy at Oxford and later President of the Royal Society.
Explore the portrait of Sir Christopher Wren by W. Wilson (NPG D2934) from all angles
Watch a film clip on the sitter from the BBC Archive in the Media section below
- Blue plaque, The Old Court House, Hampton Court Green, East Molesey KT8 9BS
- Hampton Court Palace, Surrey
- Kensington Palace, London
- National Maritime Museum, Greenwich, London
- Royal Hospital, Chelsea, London
- Royal Observatory, Greenwich
- Sir Christopher Wren in the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
- St Paul's Cathedral, London
Watch our playlist exploring scientific techniques used by the Gallery to unlock the secrets behind our Tudor portraits.
Subjects and themes
Search the collection by themes - from pets to weddings!
Black History Month
Take a tour exploring our Collection created by Alayo Akinkugbe for Black History Month in 2020.
A Picture of Health
Learn about pioneers in medicine, health and social reform from 1840 to 1920.