George Charles Bingham, 3rd Earl of Lucan(1800-1888), Field Marshal
Sitter in 7 portraits
Impetuous and resentful of authority; commanded the cavalry in the Crimean; distrusted by Lord Raglan and hated by his brother-in-law, Lord Cardigan; this antipathy contributed to the fatal misunderstanding of the order leading to the charge of the light brigade.
by Carlo Pellegrini
chromolithograph, published in Vanity Fair 23 April 1881
Vanity Fair Panel no. 3 (Edmund Beckett (né Edmund Beckett Denison), 1st Baron Grimthorpe; Sir John Hay Athole Macdonald, Lord Kingsburgh; James Monro; Charles Kearns Deane Tanner; Sir Walter Gilbey, 1st Bt; Sir Frederick Charles Arthur Stephenson; G...)
by Sir Leslie Ward, and Carlo Pellegrini, and Liborio Prosperi ('Lib'), and Théobald Chartran ('T'), and Sir Francis Carruthers Gould ('F.C.G.'), and Sir John Paget Mellor, 1st Bt
chromolithographs pasted onto wooden panel, assembled from prints published 1881-1890
- Augusta Sturt (née Lady Bingham), Baroness Alington of Criche (daughter)
- Lady Anne Bingham (aunt)
- Hon. Sir Cecil Edward Bingham (grandson)
- Sir Francis Richard Bingham (grandson)
- Charles Bingham, 1st Earl of Lucan (grandfather)
- Margaret Bingham (née Smith), Countess of Lucan (grandmother)
- Richard Bingham, 2nd Earl of Lucan (father)
- Charles George Bingham, 4h Earl of Lucan (son)
- George Charles Bingham, 5th Earl of Lucan (grandson)
- Lavinia Spencer (née Bingham), Countess Spencer (aunt)
Watch our playlist exploring scientific techniques used by the Gallery to unlock the secrets behind our Tudor portraits.
Subjects and themes
Search the collection by themes - from pets to weddings!
Black History Month
Take a tour exploring our Collection created by Alayo Akinkugbe for Black History Month in 2020.
A Picture of Health
Learn about pioneers in medicine, health and social reform from 1840 to 1920.