Philip Alexius de László(1869-1937), Portrait painter
Sitter in 7 portraits
Artist associated with 21 portraits
Born in Hungary, de László studied in Budapest, Paris and Munich before receiving his first significant commission from the Bulgarian royal family in 1894. In 1900 he married Lucy Madeline Guinness and in 1907 settled in London, embarking on a successful and prolific career painting royalty and members of the aristocracy. His success led to his being known as the 'Who's Who Painter'. He was naturalized as a British subject in 1914.
by Unknown photographer
vintage print, 1 October 1934
View a wide collection of video content on our YouTube channel from past projects to our latest films.
Artist and sitter interviews
Get insights into creating portraiture from BP Portrait Award 2020 artists and their sitters.
Watch our film created to say ‘goodbye’ to the Gallery before we closed for our major transformation project.
- Correspondence and Papers of Philip de László
- Learn more about Philip de László
- Guide to the correspondence and papers of Philip de László
- Online index and preliminary list
- Other archive material relating to Philip de László in the National Portrait Gallery
- Other sources of information about Philip de László
- Selected letters of Philip de László
- Artist - Laszlo
- Walter Benington: Pictorial portraits