Philip Alexius de László(1869-1937), Portrait painter
Sitter in 7 portraits
Artist associated with 21 portraits
Born in Hungary, de László studied in Budapest, Paris and Munich before receiving his first significant commission from the Bulgarian royal family in 1894. In 1900 he married Lucy Madeline Guinness and in 1907 settled in London, embarking on a successful and prolific career painting royalty and members of the aristocracy. His success led to his being known as the 'Who's Who Painter'. He was naturalized as a British subject in 1914.
by Paul Laib, after Philip Alexius de László
Make a donation
Support our Make History appeal and help us transform the Gallery.
A unique range of books, accessories and gifts. Every purchase supports the Gallery’s work.
Bring a familiar face home
Refresh your home gallery with a huge selection of custom art prints .
- Correspondence and Papers of Philip de László
- Learn more about Philip de László
- Guide to the correspondence and papers of Philip de László
- Online index and preliminary list
- Other archive material relating to Philip de László in the National Portrait Gallery
- Other sources of information about Philip de László
- Selected letters of Philip de László
- Artist - Laszlo
- Walter Benington: Pictorial portraits
- Tudor pick up guides