Mary Dawson Turner (née Palgrave)(1774-1850), Artist
Sitter associated with 3 portraits
Artist associated with 76 portraits
Mary Dawson Turner was the daughter of William Palgrave of Coltishall. She married Dawson Turner in 1796. Her set of a Hundred Etchings were bound and presented to the Athenaeum Club by her husband. Twelve sets of her collection of Fifty Etchings were specially bound by her husband in 1823, as presents for his friends. In most of the plates she was assisted by her teacher, William Camden Edwards.
- Hannah Sarah Brightwen (née Turner) (daughter)
- Harriet Gunn (née Turner) (daughter)
- Sir Joseph Dalton Hooker (grandson)
- Maria Sarah (née Turner), Lady Hooker (daughter)
- Elizabeth (née Turner), Lady Palgrave (daughter)
- Francis Turner Palgrave (grandson)
- Sir Reginald Francis Douce Palgrave (grandson)
- William Gifford Palgrave (grandson)
- Anne Rigby (née Palgrave) (sister)
- Eleanor Jane Turner (daughter)
View a wide collection of video content on our YouTube channel from past projects to our latest films.
Artist and sitter interviews
Get insights into creating portraiture from BP Portrait Award 2020 artists and their sitters.
Watch our film created to say ‘goodbye’ to the Gallery before we closed for our major transformation project.