Mary Berenson (née Smith)(1864-1945), Art historian; former wife of Frank Costelloe, and later wife of Bernard Berenson; daughter of Robert Pearsall Smith
Sitter associated with 75 portraits
by Unknown photographer
bromide copy print, 1883
- Bernard Berenson (husband)
- Benjamin Francis Conn ('Frank') Costelloe (husband)
- (Karin) Judith Henderson (née Stephen) (granddaughter)
- Guglielma ('Nellie') Pearsall Smith (sister)
- Alys Whitall Russell (née Pearsall Smith) (sister)
- Frank Whitall Smith (brother)
- Hannah Tatum Smith (née Whitall) (mother)
- (Lloyd) Logan Pearsall Smith (brother)
- Rachel ('Ray') Pearsall Smith (sister)
- Robert Pearsall Smith (father)
- Catherine Elizabeth Conn ('Karin') Stephen (née Costelloe) (daughter)
- Barbara Strachey (Hultin, later Halpern) (granddaughter)
- Christopher Strachey (grandson)
- Rachel Pearsall Conn ('Ray') Strachey (née Costelloe) (daughter)
- Ann Davies Synge (née Stephen) (granddaughter)
- John Mickle Whitall (grandfather)
- Mary Tatum Whitall (grandmother)
Watch our playlist exploring scientific techniques used by the Gallery to unlock the secrets behind our Tudor portraits.
Subjects and themes
Search the collection by themes - from pets to weddings!
Black History Month
Take a tour exploring our Collection created by Alayo Akinkugbe for Black History Month in 2020.
A Picture of Health
Learn about pioneers in medicine, health and social reform from 1840 to 1920.