Hon. Julian Henry Francis Grenfell(1888-1915), Soldier; poet; eldest son of 1st Baron Desborough
Sitter in 1 portrait
Poet and soldier. A precocious literary talent, Grenfell was already serving in the army at the outbreak of war and went with his regiment to France in October 1914. He won a DSO in November, was mentioned in dispatches in January 1915, but died of wounds received at Ypres in May. His poem 'Into Battle' appeared in The Times on the day his death was announced.
More on Julian Grenfell: First World War Poets book in our Shops
- William Henry Grenfell, Baron Desborough (father)
- Ethel Anne Priscilla ('Ettie') Grenfell (née Fane), Lady Desborough (mother)
- Julian Henry Charles Fane (grandfather)
- Hon. Gerald William ('Billy') Grenfell (brother)
- Hon. Ivo George Winfred Grenfell (brother)
Develop your art skills
Discover our BP Next Generation short films made by artists. Follow step by step guides in drawing and painting techniques.
Hold Still photography workshop
Reflect on your own experiences of lockdown through this easy-to-do from home, photographic exercise.
Draw Like a Renaissance Master
Revisit The Encounter exhibition and learn about Renaissance and Baroque drawing methods and materials.