Diana Mitford (later Lady Mosley)(1910-2003), Nazi sympathiser and author; former wife of Hon. Bryan Guinness, and later wife of Sir Oswald Mosley, 6th Bt; daughter of 2nd Baron Redesdale
Diana Mosley (née Freeman-Mitford, later Guinness), Lady Mosley
Sitter in 14 portraits
The third of six daughters of Baron Redesdale, Mosley's controversial political beliefs would lead to her eventual exile from England. Married at 18 to the poet and playwright Bryan Guinness, the couple played host to the Bright Young Things gatherings of the 1920s. In 1932 she left Guinness for the leader of the British Union of Fascists Oswald Mosley. She attended the first Nuremberg rally with her sister, the Nazi sympathiser Unity Mitford in 1934 and two years later Adolph Hitler would attend her secret marriage to Mosley. Considered a danger to national security, she was imprisoned at Holloway prison for 3 years and placed under house arrest till 1949. While living in France, Mosley edited the fascist cultural magazine The European and wrote regularly for Tatler and The Times. In 1977 she published her memoirs A Life of Contrasts.
by Unknown photographer
bromide print, circa 1914
by Marcus Adams
gelatin silver print, 1930
by Brenard Press Ltd
bromide press print, 8 April 1948
- Thomas Gibson Bowles (grandfather)
- Daphne Bowyer (née Freeman-Mitford), Lady Denham (aunt)
- Deborah Vivien Cavendish (née Freeman-Mitford), Duchess of Devonshire (sister)
- Peregrine Andrew Morny Cavendish, 12th Duke of Devonshire (nephew)
- Hon. Iris Elizabeth Freeman-Mitford (aunt)
- Jessica Lucy Freeman-Mitford (later Treuhaft) (sister)
- Nancy Freeman-Mitford (sister)
- (Ernest) Rupert Bertram Freeman-Mitford (uncle)
- Thomas David Freeman-Mitford (brother)
- Hon. Unity Valkyrie Freeman-Mitford (sister)
- Pamela Jackson (née Freeman-Mitford) (sister)
- Hon. Frances Georgiana Kearsey (née Freeman-Mitford) (aunt)
- Sir Oswald Mosley, 6th Bt (husband)
- Bryan Walter Guinness, 2nd Baron Moyne of Bury St Edmunds (husband)
- David Bertram Ogilvy Freeman-Mitford, 2nd Baron Redesdale (father)
- Algernon Bertram Freeman-Mitford, 1st Baron Redesdale (grandfather)
- Sydney (née Bowles), Lady Redesdale (mother)
Make a donation
Support our Make History appeal and help us transform the Gallery.
A unique range of books, accessories and gifts. Every purchase supports the Gallery’s work.
Bring a familiar face home
Refresh your home gallery with a huge selection of custom art prints .