Charles Darwin(1809-1882), Naturalist, geologist and originator of the theory of evolution
Charles Robert Darwin
Sitter in 35 portraits
Naturalist who formulated the theory of evolution by natural selection; the result of years of research, his On the Origin of Species (1859) made a meticulous survey of life-forms and the conditions which governed their development; wrote other important works on botany, zoology, geology, and the philosophy of evolution.
Watch a film clip on the sitter from the BBC Archive in the Media section below
- Frances Cornford (née Darwin) (granddaughter)
- Bernard Darwin (grandson)
- Sir Charles Galton Darwin (grandson)
- Emma Darwin (née Wedgwood) (wife)
- Erasmus Darwin (grandfather)
- Sir Francis Darwin (son)
- Sir George Howard Darwin (son)
- Gwendolen ('Gwen') Raverat (née Darwin) (granddaughter)
- Ernest Hensleigh Wedgwood (nephew)
- Blue plaque, Biological Sciences Building, University College, (site of 110) Gower Street, Bloomsbury, London WC1E 6BT
- Charles Robert Darwin in the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
- Down House, Kent
- Natural History Museum, London
- Sedgwick Museum of Earth Sciences, Cambridge
- University Herbarium, Cambridge
Develop your art skills
Discover our BP Next Generation short films made by artists. Follow step by step guides in drawing and painting techniques.
Hold Still photography workshop
Reflect on your own experiences of lockdown through this easy-to-do from home, photographic exercise.
Draw Like a Renaissance Master
Revisit The Encounter exhibition and learn about Renaissance and Baroque drawing methods and materials.