King George VI(1895-1952), Reigned 1936-52
Sitter associated with 562 portraits
The second son of George V and Queen Mary, he served in the navy (1909-17) and qualified as a pilot in the Royal Air Force in 1919. He was President of the Industrial Welfare Society, an area of special concern. He married Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon in 1923 and became King on the abdication of his brother Edward VIII in 1936. He and Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother were held in great affection by the population for the courage and sense of duty they showed during the War. Following his death in 1952, he was succeeded by his eldest daughter who became Queen Elizabeth II.
More on King George VI: Monarchs range in our Shops | Kings & Queens range in our Shops
- Queen Alexandra (grandmother)
- Princess Alexandra, Lady Ogilvy (niece)
- King Edward VII (grandfather)
- Prince Edward, Duke of Windsor (King Edward VIII) (brother)
- Queen Elizabeth II (daughter)
- Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother (wife)
- King George V (father)
- Prince George, Duke of Kent (brother)
- George Henry Hubert Lascelles, 7th Earl of Harewood (nephew)
- Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester (brother)
- Prince John (brother)
- Prince Edward George Nicholas Paul Patrick, Duke of Kent (nephew)
- Princess Margaret (daughter)
- Queen Mary (mother)
- Princess Mary, Countess of Harewood (sister)
- Prince Michael of Kent (nephew)
- Prince Richard, Duke of Gloucester (nephew)
- Queen Victoria (grandmother)
- Prince William of Gloucester (nephew)
Make a donation
Support our Make History appeal and help us transform the Gallery.
A unique range of books, accessories and gifts. Every purchase supports the Gallery’s work.
Bring a familiar face home
Refresh your home gallery with a huge selection of custom art prints .