King George VI(1895-1952), Reigned 1936-52
Sitter associated with 562 portraits
The second son of George V and Queen Mary, he served in the navy (1909-17) and qualified as a pilot in the Royal Air Force in 1919. He was President of the Industrial Welfare Society, an area of special concern. He married Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon in 1923 and became King on the abdication of his brother Edward VIII in 1936. He and Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother were held in great affection by the population for the courage and sense of duty they showed during the War. Following his death in 1952, he was succeeded by his eldest daughter who became Queen Elizabeth II.
More on King George VI: Monarchs range in our Shops | Kings & Queens range in our Shops
by Elliott & Fry
half-plate glass negative
- Queen Alexandra (grandmother)
- Princess Alexandra, Lady Ogilvy (niece)
- King Edward VII (grandfather)
- Prince Edward, Duke of Windsor (King Edward VIII) (brother)
- Queen Elizabeth II (daughter)
- Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother (wife)
- King George V (father)
- Prince George, Duke of Kent (brother)
- George Henry Hubert Lascelles, 7th Earl of Harewood (nephew)
- Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester (brother)
- Prince John (brother)
- Prince Edward George Nicholas Paul Patrick, Duke of Kent (nephew)
- Princess Margaret (daughter)
- Queen Mary (mother)
- Princess Mary, Countess of Harewood (sister)
- Prince Michael of Kent (nephew)
- Prince Richard, Duke of Gloucester (nephew)
- Queen Victoria (grandmother)
- Prince William of Gloucester (nephew)
View a wide collection of video content on our YouTube channel from past projects to our latest films.
Artist and sitter interviews
Get insights into creating portraiture from BP Portrait Award 2020 artists and their sitters.
Watch our film created to say ‘goodbye’ to the Gallery before we closed for our major transformation project.