Evelyn Waugh(1903-1966), Novelist
Sitter associated with 53 portraits
Novelist famed for his satirical observations and black humour in works such as Vile Bodies (1930) and Scoop (1938). Waugh wrote the romantically nostalgic Brideshead Revisited (1945) and a trilogy of war novels Sword of Honour (1952-61).
by Mark Gerson
cibachrome print from original transparency, March 1959
- (Maria) Teresa D'Arms (née Waugh) (daughter)
- Margaret ('Meg') Fitzherbert (née Waugh) (daughter)
- Veronica Keeling (née Waugh) (niece)
- Evelyn Florence Margaret Winifred Nightingale (née Gardner, formerly Waugh) (wife)
- Alexander Raban ('Alec') Waugh (brother)
- Andrew Alexander Waugh (nephew)
- Auberon Alexander Waugh (son)
- Harriet Mary ('Hatty') Waugh (daughter)
- James Waugh (son)
- Laura Waugh (née Herbert) (wife)
- Septimus Waugh (son)
Watch our playlist exploring scientific techniques used by the Gallery to unlock the secrets behind our Tudor portraits.
Subjects and themes
Search the collection by themes - from pets to weddings!
Black History Month
Take a tour exploring our Collection created by Alayo Akinkugbe for Black History Month in 2020.
A Picture of Health
Learn about pioneers in medicine, health and social reform from 1840 to 1920.