Regency Portraits Catalogue
George O'Brien Wyndham, 3rd Earl of Egremont (1751-1837), Patron of art
Oil by William Hoare (Petworth 392), as a boy sketching with his sister Lady Elizabeth; a black chalk drawing of this is in British Museum (Laurence Binyon, Catalogue of Drawings by British Artists … in the British Museum, II, p 314).
Oil sketch by Reynolds recorded in Algernon Graves & W. V. Cronin, History of the Works of Sir Joshua Reynolds, 1899, p 1305 (Petworth 405); a large picture was never painted though there was another sitting in 1773.
Pastel by J. R. Smith at Goodwood, reproduced Connoisseur, XC, 1932, p 299.
Oil by Romney 'said to be Lord Egremont' exported 1956; Romney's 'The Egremont Family' (Petworth 381) was painted at Petworth in September 1795 so it is reasonable to assume that Lord Egremont himself was painted separately then.
Oils by Thomas Phillips recorded in his Sitter Book in the NPG library are as follows:
(1-2) 4 November 1796 to 12 April 1797, two half-lengths.
(3-4) September 1798, two more half-lengths, one dated on the back with a description of his uniform as Colonel of Sussex Yeomanry (Petworth 309).
(5) 29 November 1799, 'Lord Egremont 5th time (108) ¾’, probably the half-length in peer's robes signed and dated 1799 and repainted in 1807 (Petworth 675), engraved in stipple by Agar.
(6) 31 December 1799, 'Lord Egremont 6th time in robes for Ld Macartney (112) ¾'.
(7) September-October 1800, '7th time Lord Egremont for the Duke of Northumberland (134) lhl'.
(8) 29 June 1805, 'Earl of Egremont for himself (8th time) 217 lhl', probably the seated three-quarter-length holding map and magnifying glass with his daughter Lady Mary Munster (Petworth 562). December 1807, 'Repainted ¾ picture of E. Egremont done in 1799'.
(9) 21 May 1809, 'Earl of Egremont for Earl of Ossory 9th time (274) ¾’.
(10) 23 August 1809, 'Earl of Egremont 10th time for Sir G. Thomas (281) ¾'.
(11) 1 September 1813, 'Earl of Egremont 11th for Lady Burrell (367) hl'. November 1817, 'Finished at Petworth the Picture of the Royal Visit there in 1814 in which are portraits of the Emperor of Russia, the King of Prussia, the Prince Regent, the Prince of Wirtemberg, the Duchess of Oldenburgh, the Prince of Oldenburgh, Prince William of Prussia, General Suvaroff, Count Lieven, Earl of Yarmouth, Sir H. M. Grove Turner, Berkeley Craven, Rev Dr Clarke, Earl of Egremont and his family (6), Rev T. Lockett and myself. size l.h.l.' (Petworth 268).
(12) October 1818, 'Earl of Egremt 12th for Mr Huskisson (470) k.c.'.
(13) 23 July 1822, 'Earl of Egremt (499) k.c.'.
(14) 19 July 1823, 'Earl of Egremont for Ld. Holland (512) 1ft x 1ft 6in'. This is NPG 3323 on loan from Holland House (the Strangways Estates Limited) since 1947, the loan subject to renewal every ten years.
Marble bust by G. Garrard at Petworth (Rupert Gunnis, Dictionary of British Sculptors 1660-1851, 1953, p 164).
Marble bust by Nollekens at Petworth, exhibited RA 1815 (895) and probably the bust in the Nollekens sale 1823 (276).
'The Trial of Queen Caroline 1820' by Hayter (NPG 999).
Oil by Clint (Petworth 599), seated with his grandson John King, aged about 4, and a dog. Another whole-length by Clint in Brighton Art Gallery was commissioned for the Town Hall and shows Egremont in uniform as Lord-Lieutenant of Sussex (1819-35); the County Hospital in the background was completed in 1828; a small version without the hospital but with an earl's coronet is in Montreal Museum of Fine Arts (513).
Oil by Derby, three-quarter-length seated in Petworth library holding pince-nez and a letter dated London Jan. 1825, a dog jumping on the chair, exhibited RA 1825 (96) and NPG 1868 (283) lent by Alfred T. Derby; Turner's mezzotint of this was published 1 December 1825; a version without the dog and dated London 1827 (Petworth 309) was formerly attributed to Clint; a version was offered to the NPG in 1936.
Oil by Masquerier known from W. Ward's mezzotint published July 1825 by S. J. Folkes, Royal
Colonnade, Brighton (reproduced R. R. M. See, Masquerier and his Circle, 1922, plate XXXIII).
Marble bust by Behnes (Petworth 113) exhibited RA 1826 (1072); a different type at University College, Cork, is of doubtful identity; Behnes's sketch for a statue was exhibited RA 1839 (1354)
Group by P. C. Wonder (NPG 795).
Drawings by Chantrey (NPG 316a(43)) and marble bust in Royal Sussex County Hospital, Brighton.
Marble bust by Carew at Petworth, in a cloak ornamented with oak leaves.
Oil by J. Lucas (Petworth 682) 'completed Mar 28 1834 in 5 sittings at Petworth'; a replica from Panshanger offered to the NPG in 1953.
Oil by Wheatley in a Scottish private collection is of Egremont in a military group with the Duke of Ancaster, Sir George St Leger, Captain Cook and Admiral Sir Albemarle Bertie.
Miniature by Cosway in Bayne Powell collection.
Undated and doubtful identity
Oil by Stubbs from Basildon Park sold Sotheby's 23 March 1966.
This extended catalogue entry is from the out-of-print National Portrait Gallery collection catalogue: Richard Walker, Regency Portraits, National Portrait Gallery, 1985, and is as published then. For the most up-to-date details on individual Collection works, we recommend reading the information provided in the Search the Collection results on this website in parallel with this text.