1 of 7 portraits of Arthur Murphy
- Extended Catalogue Entry
by Nathaniel Dance (later Sir Nathaniel Holland, Bt)
oil on canvas, 1777
50 in. x 40 in. (1270 mm x 1016 mm)
Artistback to top
- Nathaniel Dance (later Sir Nathaniel Holland, Bt) (1735-1811), Painter. Artist associated with 62 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
Related worksback to top
Linked publicationsback to top
- Cullen, Fintan, The Irish Face: Redefining the Irish Portrait, 2004, p. 44
- Ingamells, John, National Portrait Gallery: Mid-Georgian Portraits 1760-1790, 2004, p. 355
- John Cooper, National Portrait Gallery Visitor's Guide, 2006, p. 163
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 450
- Uglow, Jenny, Character Sketches: Dr Johnson, His Club and Other Friends, 1998, p. 40
Events of 1777back to top
Current affairsTrent and Mersey Canal is completed under the supervision of engineer James Brindley.
Philanthropist and reformer John Howard publishes his study The State of the Prisons in England and Wales.
Art and scienceArtist James Barry begins his monumental series of paintings The Progress of Human Culture for the Great Room of the Society of Arts in London. He completes it in 1783.
Richard Brinsley Sheridan's second play, The School for Scandal, is an immediate success in London's Drury Lane Theatre.
Entrepreneur William Bass establishes the Bass Brewery at Burton upon Trent.