1 of 7 portraits of Arthur Murphy
- Extended Catalogue Entry
by Nathaniel Dance (later Sir Nathaniel Holland, Bt)
oil on canvas, 1777
50 in. x 40 in. (1270 mm x 1016 mm)
Artistback to top
- Nathaniel Dance (later Sir Nathaniel Holland, Bt) (1735-1811), Painter. Artist associated with 62 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
Related worksback to top
Linked publicationsback to top
- Cullen, Fintan, The Irish Face: Redefining the Irish Portrait, 2004, p. 44
- Ingamells, John, National Portrait Gallery: Mid-Georgian Portraits 1760-1790, 2004, p. 355
- John Cooper, National Portrait Gallery Visitor's Guide, 2006, p. 163
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 450
- Uglow, Jenny, Character Sketches: Dr Johnson, His Club and Other Friends, 1998, p. 40
Events of 1777back to top
Current affairsTrent and Mersey Canal is completed under the supervision of engineer James Brindley.
Philanthropist and reformer John Howard publishes his study The State of the Prisons in England and Wales.
Art and scienceArtist James Barry begins his monumental series of paintings The Progress of Human Culture for the Great Room of the Society of Arts in London. He completes it in 1783.
Richard Brinsley Sheridan's second play, The School for Scandal, is an immediate success in London's Drury Lane Theatre.
Entrepreneur William Bass establishes the Bass Brewery at Burton upon Trent.
InternationalAmerican War of Independence: George Washington, heavily defeated at the Battle of Brandywine, is forced to relinquish Philadelphia to the British under General William Howe. At the two Battles of Saratoga only weeks later General John Burgoyne is forced to surrender to the Americans, marking a turning point in the war. The Continental Congress agrees the final version of the Articles of Confederation, defining the terms on which states join the Union.
Watch our playlist exploring scientific techniques used by the Gallery to unlock the secrets behind our Tudor portraits.
Subjects and themes
Search the collection by themes - from pets to weddings!
Black History Month
Take a tour exploring our Collection created by Alayo Akinkugbe for Black History Month in 2020.
A Picture of Health
Learn about pioneers in medicine, health and social reform from 1840 to 1920.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.