1 of 16 portraits of Laurence Sterne
- Extended Catalogue Entry
by Sir Joshua Reynolds
oil on canvas, 1760
50 1/8 in. x 39 1/2 in. (1273 mm x 1003 mm)
Purchased with help from Mr and Mrs Lewis Golden, the Art Fund, the Pilgrim Trust, H.M. Government and the results of a public appeal, 1975
Sitterback to top
- Laurence Sterne (1713-1768), Writer and divine; author of 'Tristram Shandy'. Sitter in 16 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Sir Joshua Reynolds (1723-1792), Painter and first President of the Royal Academy. Artist associated with 1415 portraits, Sitter associated with 39 portraits.
This portraitback to top
More than just a good likeness, Reynolds's portrait is full of energy and wit. Cloaked in his church gown, Sterne's twisting, dynamic figure and sardonic expression reveal the writer’s active mind. Reynolds's intention in painting this portrait, which was not commissioned, was to cash in on Sterne's popularity with the sale of mezzotint engravings after the original.
Related worksback to top
- NPG D13966: Laurence Sterne (source portrait)
- NPG D14596: Laurence Sterne (source portrait)
- NPG D20401: Laurence Sterne (source portrait)
- NPG D19360: Laurence Sterne (source portrait)
- NPG D18836: Laurence Sterne (source portrait)
- NPG D2980: Laurence Sterne (source portrait)
- NPG D21363: Laurence Sterne (source portrait)
- NPG D17533: Laurence Sterne (source portrait)
- NPG D4314: Laurence Sterne (source portrait)
- NPG D4315: Laurence Sterne (source portrait)
- NPG D4316: Laurence Sterne (source portrait)
- NPG D42129: Laurence Sterne (source portrait)
Linked publicationsback to top
- Smartify image discovery app
- Kerslake, John, Early Georgian Portraits, 1977, p. 260
- Piper, David, The English Face, 1992, p. 152
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 588
- Schama, Simon, The Face of Britain: The Nation Through its Portraits, 2015-09-15, p. 302
- Woof, Robert; Hebron, Stephen, Romantic Icons, 1999, p. 11
Events of 1760back to top
Current affairsDeath of George II on 25 October at the age of 76. George III succeeds to the throne at the age of 22.
Art and scienceGerman artist Johan Zoffany arrives in England, where he is instrumental in reviving the 'conversation piece' genre of painting.
First public exhibition of paintings in England is held at the Society of Arts' Great Room in the Strand, London.
The Public Ledger is founded; the oldest British periodical with continuous daily publication.
InternationalSeven Years' War: At the Battle of Carrickfergus in Ireland, a force of French troops captures the town of Carrickfergus before retiring.
Surrender of Montreal to the British under General Jeffrey Amherst signals the virtual loss of Canada by the French. British troops oust the Nawab of Bengal Mir Jafar and replace him with Mir Quasim.
Former Chief Tacky leads an unsuccessful slave rebellion in Jamaica, which aims to overthrow British rule.
Do, draw and make!
Do, draw and make!
From building dens to food faces – enjoy our Playful Portraits activities and find out about some brilliant people!
Activities for children and families inspired by three healthcare heroes from our Collection.
Downloadable and web based resources to support learning at home linked to art, history, citizenship and literacy.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.