The Renwick family
2 of 2 portraits of Susan Mary Baring (née Renwick), Lady Ashburton
The Renwick family
by Bassano Ltd
whole-plate film negative, 29 May 1933
Given by Bassano & Vandyk Studios, 1974
Sittersback to top
- Susan Mary Baring (née Renwick), Lady Ashburton (1930-), Daughter of 1st Baron Renwick of Coombe; first wife of John Francis Harcourt Baring, 7th Baron Ashburton. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Dorothy Mary Renwick (née Parkes), Lady Renwick of Coombe (later Mrs Fitzadam-Ormiston), Daughter of Harold Parkes. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Hon. Jennifer Rowe (née Renwick, later Mrs Arthur) (1932-), Former wife of Anthony Duncan Rowe, and later wife of Roy Arthur; daughter of 1st Baron Renwick of Coombe. Sitter in 2 portraits.
Events of 1933back to top
Current affairsSir Norman Angell is awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. Angell was recognised for his book, Europe's Optical Illusion (or The Great Illusion) first published in 1910 and updated in 1933, which argued that war between modern powers was futile as neither the looser or victor would gain economically from it.
Art and scienceBritish Art embraces abstraction with the establishment of 'Unit 1', the first group of British Artists dedicated to producing abstract art. The critic Herbert Read formed the group by bringing together the artists Ben Nicholson, Barbara Hepworth, Henry Moore, Paul Nash and the architect, Wells Coates.
The Duveen Wing extension at the National Portrait Gallery is opened by King George V.
InternationalThe Nazi party comes to power in Germany as part of a coalition government with Hitler as Chancellor. Over the next year, the party consolidated its position through the Enabling Act (allowing them to pass legislation without the support of the coalition), by banning and purging opposition, and by making Hitler Führer in 1934: granting him the combined powers of Chancellor and President.
- Margery Allingham
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- Learn more
- DCMS Bassano Project
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Photographically Illustrated Periodicals
- Classical Music and the First World War
- Athletes and Olympians
- Centenary of flight
- Born in 1856