Sir William Butts
1 of 3 portraits matching '210'
Sir William Butts
after Hans Holbein the Younger
oil on panel, late 16th century, based on a work of circa 1540-1543
18 1/2 in. x 14 3/4 in. (470 mm x 375 mm)
Sitterback to top
- Sir William Butts (1485-1545), Physician and confidant of Henry VIII. Sitter associated with 7 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Hans Holbein the Younger (1497 or 1498-1543), Painter, printmaker and designer; son of Hans Holbein the Elder. Artist associated with 308 portraits, Sitter associated with 25 portraits.
This portraitback to top
The original Holbein portrait on which this painting is based is now in the collection of the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, Boston. Technical analysis suggests this version is likely to date from the period 1571-1603. It indicates an interest by Elizabethan patrons in commissioning portraits of early Tudor sitters.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 94
- Strong, Roy, Tudor and Jacobean Portraits, 1969, p. 33
Events of 1540back to top
Current affairsKing Henry VIII marries Anne of Cleves in January but then takes Catherine Howard as a mistress in June. Henry and Anne's marriage is annulled and he weds Catherine in July.
Sir Thomas Cromwell is beheaded for High Treason. Catharine Howard's uncle, Thomas Howard, 3rd Duke of Norfolk replaces him as Henry VIII's chief minister.
Waltham Abbey becomes the final abbey to be closed during the Dissolution of the Monasteries.
Art and scienceStirling Palace begun for King James V of Scotland, it is built in the French Renaissance style.
InternationalThe Holy Roman Emperor Charles V enters Ghent in Flanders after the city had offered its allegiance to Francis I of France.
Pope Paul III grants official approval the Catholic Order of the Society of Jesus, or Jesuits, through the papal bull Regimini militantis ecclesiae (To the Government of the Church Militant).
Listen to a series of podcasts exploring the lives of pioneering women, past and present.
William Eggleston was closely associated with the alternative music scene in Memphis. Revisit our 2016 exhibition and listen to a special playlist.
Links to audio and transcripts of interviews with artists, sitters and historic recordings.
- Tints, texture and original intent, in four after-Holbein portraits
- Tudor Miniatures
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Technique and effects of the after-Holbein copyists
- Holbein and his copyists
- The contexts for the production and demand for painted versions and copies in the sixteenth and early seventeenth century
- Loans to the National Gallery
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints