by Suzi Malin
tempera on panel, 1980
44 in. x 29 3/4 in. (1118 mm x 756 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Alexander Frederick Douglas-Home, Baron Home of the Hirsel (1903-1995), Prime Minister. Sitter in 32 portraits.
This portraitback to top
This portrait was painted from life studies made at the sitter's Scottish home, The Hirsel, Berwickshire, in April of 1980. He is seated on the riverbank with his fishing rod in his hand and his retriever Crispen by his side.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Gibson, Robin, The Face in the Corner: Animal Portraits from the Collections of the National Portrait Gallery, 1998, p. 23
- Robin Gibson, Pets in Portraits, 2015, p. 41
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 311
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: Scotland, Scottish Borders (sitter's home, The Hirsel, Coldstream, Berwickshire, Scotland)