1 portrait matching these criteria:
- npg number matching '2925'
- Extended Catalogue Entry
after Sir Godfrey Kneller, Bt
oil on canvas, based on a work of circa 1690
48 1/2 in. x 39 in. (1232 mm x 991 mm)
Artistback to top
- Sir Godfrey Kneller, Bt (1646-1723), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 1683 portraits, Sitter associated with 30 portraits.
This portraitback to top
He is shown here holding a bust of a woman and a pair of calipers.
Related worksback to top
Linked publicationsback to top
- Ingamells, John, Later Stuart Portraits 1685-1714, 2009, p. 97
- Piper, David, Catalogue of Seventeenth Century Portraits in the National Portrait Gallery, 1625-1714, 1963, p. 136
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 244
Events of 1690back to top
Current affairsWilliam III, forced to leave England to fight in Ireland, empowers Mary II, through the Regency Act, to exercise authority in his absence. William, however, unwilling to rest power solely with Mary, appoints a council of nine statesmen directly answerable to the absent king.
Art and sciencePhilosopher, John Locke, publishes An Essay Concerning Humane Understanding and Treatises on Government, in which he sets out his notion that human understanding is derived from experience.
Naturalist, John Ray, publishes Synopsis methodica stirpium Britannicarum. It became the most consulted book for the classification of British plants.
InternationalWilliam III lands in Ireland with an allied force of Protestant fighters from European states to fight French and Irish troops under James II. William's victory at the Battle of the Boyne forces James to flee into permanent exile.
French defeat the English at the naval battle of Beachy Head.