1 portrait matching these criteria:
- npg number matching '302'
after a self-portrait by William Dobson
oil on canvas, circa 1646, based on a work of 1642-1646
28 3/8 in. x 23 7/8 in. (720 mm x 596 mm)
Sitterback to top
- William Dobson (1611-1646), Portrait painter. Sitter in 9 portraits, Artist associated with 50 portraits.
Artistback to top
- William Dobson (1611-1646), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 50 portraits, Sitter in 9 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Piper, David, Catalogue of Seventeenth Century Portraits in the National Portrait Gallery, 1625-1714, 1963, p. 108
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 181
Events of 1642back to top
Current affairsCharles I fails to arrest five members of Parliament and rejects Parliament's Nineteen Propositions.
Outbreak of Civil War. The Battle of Edgehill, the first fought between Royalist armies led by Lieutenant-General, Patrick Ruthven, Earl of Brentford and Parliamentarians under Captain-General, Robert Devereux, Earl of Essex, is inconclusive.
Art and scienceParliament closes all theatres in London judging entertainment sinful. A Jovial Crew, by playwright, Richard Brome, is reportedly the last play staged before the closure.
Poet, John Denham, writes Cooper's Hill, a reflection on kingship during the current political upheavals.
InternationalRoyalist soldier, James Butler, Duke of Ormonde, leads the king's forces in Ireland against the Irish Confederates. During the year, he successfully achieves victory at the battle of Kilrush and raises the siege of Drogheda.
France's first minister, Cardinal-Duc de Richelieu dies and is succeeded by Cardinal Jules Mazarin.