1 portrait matching these criteria:
- npg number matching '4243'
- Extended Catalogue Entry
by Richard Westall
oil on canvas, 1813
36 in. x 28 in. (914 mm x 711 mm)
Artistback to top
- Richard Westall (1765-1836), History painter. Artist associated with 13 portraits, Sitter in 6 portraits.
This portraitback to top
A legend in his own lifetime throughout Europe, Byron was famous for his good looks and his brilliant, reckless personality. A poet of travel and romance, and a scintillating satirist, he lived abroad from 1816 in self-imposed exile and died of fever at Missolonghi where he had joined the Greeks in their fight against Turkish rule. This profile portrait by Richard Westall was painted when Byron was twenty-five; he died eight years later.
Related worksback to top
Linked publicationsback to top
- Alexander, Christine (Christine Anne), Celebrating Charlotte Brontë : transforming life into literature in Jane Eyre, 2016, p. 66
- Holmes, Richard, The Romantic Poets and Their Circle, 2013, p. 4
- Holmes, Richard, Insights: The Romantic Poets and Their Circle, 2005, p. 6
- Ross, Josephine, Jane Austen and her World, 2017, p. 95
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 95
- Tinker, Christopher, Speak its Name! - Quotations by and about Gay Men and Women, 2016, p. 33
- Walker, Richard, Regency Portraits, 1985, p. 81
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron (20 November 2002 - 16 February 2003)
Events of 1813back to top
Current affairsMachine breaking Luddite Riots end with seventeen executions in York. Radical John Cartwright's subsequent tour of the manufacturing districts has some success in quelling Luddite discontent with the foundation of the Hampden reform club network across the country.
East India Company is deprived of monopoly over trade with India.
Art and scienceMillenarian prophet Joanna Southcott, made famous by her visions of the second coming of Christ, announces herself 'with child' by the Holy Ghost.
Jane Austen publishes Pride and Prejudice.
InternationalVictorious Battle of St Pierre near Bayonne led by General Rowland Hill.
Battle of Leipzig ends in defeat for Napoleon.
Wellington's victory at Vittoria leads to British invasion of Southern France.
Americans capture and burn Toronto, defeat British in Battle of Lake Erie and recapture Detroit.