1 portrait matching these criteria:
- npg number matching '574'
after Sir Peter Lely
oil on canvas, circa 1654
30 3/4 in. x 25 3/4 in. (781 mm x 654 mm)
Transferred from British Museum, 1879
Sitterback to top
- James Ussher (1580-1656), Archbishop of Armagh. Sitter associated with 44 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Sir Peter Lely (1618-1680), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 843 portraits, Sitter in 19 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
Events of 1654back to top
Current affairsUnder the constitution prescribed in 'The Instrument of Government', the first Protectorate Parliament is summoned by Oliver Cromwell, Lord Protector. The constitution also marks the first systematic distribution of Parliamentary seats, listing MPs to be returned to Parliament. William Lenthall, Speaker of the House since 1640, continues as Speaker.
Art and sciencePoet and polemicist, John Milton, writes Defensio secunda, in defence of the Parliamentary regime, and in response to an anonymous royalist tract which violently attacked Milton, the Clamor, published in The Hague in 1652, most probably written by religious controversialist, Anglican Peter Du Moulin.
InternationalCharles X, King of Sweden, ascends the Swedish throne after the scandal of Queen Kristina's abdication and subsequent conversion to Catholicism.
Treaty of Westminster is signed ending the First Anglo-Dutch War.
King Louis XIV of France is crowned at Rheims.
Read our latest news and have your say.
Identify our Silhouettes
Join enthusiastic contributors who have already identified 155 sitters.
Tell us more about our Silvy sitters
Help us identify the sitters who visited Camille Silvy’s photographic studio during the 1860s.
- Barbara Villiers
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection - M-Z
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Duchess of Cleveland Appeal
- Alexander Browne and Richard Tompson
- Painted Ladies: Women at the Court of Charles II
- Catherine Sedley
- 2018 Anniversaries
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.