11 of 64 portraits of Lucian Freud
by Francis Goodman
2 1/4 inch square film negative, early 1940s
Bequeathed by the estate of Francis Goodman, 1989
Sitterback to top
- Lucian Freud (1922-2011), Artist. Sitter in 64 portraits, Artist or producer of 6 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Francis Goodman (1913-1989), Photographer. Artist or producer of 1400 portraits, Sitter in 6 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: England, London (2 Maresfield Gardens, London)
Events of 1941back to top
Current affairsThe Blitz continues with sustained Luftwaffe attacks on British cities. As the bombing went on the urban population got used to the black out, the air raid sirens and nights spent in shelter. The idea emerged (to some extent a myth) of the 'spirit of the Blitz' where people pulled together united, disregarding traditional class and social divisions.
Art and scienceFrank Whittle demonstrates the first test-flight of a plane powered by jet propulsion. Although the German, Hans von Ohain, built the first jet plane, Whittle was the first to patent a design for the jet engine (in 1930), and his subsequent work helped to advance the technology and made Britain leaders in the field.
InternationalThe Soviet Union and America join the Allies. The Soviet Union was forced to switch sides after Hitler attacked in June 1941, reneging the Soviet-Nazi pact. Six months later the US Navy was attacked by Japan at Pearl Harbour. The following day the USA declared war on Japan, and three days later Germany and Italy declared war on America.
- Artists and sitters
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- Lucian Freud in the Studio
- NPG 5199 in 360°
- David Hockney Portraits
- Twentieth Century Printmakers
- Inspirational quotes from 10 significant LGBTQI people in the Collection
- Margery Allingham
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Photographically Illustrated Periodicals
- Surreal and Solarised Photographs