1 of 22 portraits of George Abbot
after Unknown artist
oil on canvas, 1623
48 in. x 37 7/8 in. (1219 mm x 962 mm)
Sitterback to top
- George Abbot (1562-1633), Archbishop of Canterbury. Sitter associated with 22 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 2
- Strong, Roy, Tudor and Jacobean Portraits, 1969, p. 1
Events of 1623back to top
Current affairsCharles, Prince of Wales, accompanied by George Villiers, Duke of Buckingham, travel to Madrid incognito under the names Tom and Jack Smith, determined to secure a marriage with Infanta Maria Anna of Spain. They return to England unsuccessful to the relief of the nation.
Art and scienceThe First Folio of William Shakespeare's plays is published, dedicated to William Herbert, Earl of Pembroke and his brother, Philip Herbert, courtiers and patrons of the arts.
Work begins on the Queen's Chapel, designated for Catholic worship, at St James's Palace to Inigo Jones's design.
InternationalAmboyna Massacre. Traders from the English East India Company are murdered by agents of the Dutch East India Company amid intense rivalry. Banker, Sir Thomas Vyner, acting as co-treasurer, receives compensation from the Dutch for those killed in the massacre.
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Brilliant Women
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Chartist Portraits
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- 2019 Anniversaries
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints