The Adamson Family
1 portrait of John Adamson
The Adamson Family
by David Octavius Hill, and Robert Adamson
calotype, circa 1844-1845
7 1/8 in. x 5 5/8 in. (181 mm x 143 mm)
Given by an anonymous donor, 1973
Artistsback to top
Sittersback to top
- Alexander Adamson (1814-1888), Brother of Robert Adamson. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Mrs Alexander Adamson. Sitter associated with 1 portrait. Identify
- John Adamson (1810-1870), Chemist; brother of Robert Adamson. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Melville Adamson (born 1825), Sister of Robert Adamson. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Robert Adamson (1821-1848), Pioneer photographer. Sitter in 3 portraits, Artist associated with 382 portraits. Identify
- Isabella Morrison Bell (née Adamson) (born 1822), Sister of Robert Adamson. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
Portrait setback to top
Events of 1844back to top
Current affairsBritain experiences a railway boom. Peel's government passes a series of Acts creating provision of cheap, regular rail services. George Hudson, the first great railway entrepreneur, who controlled over 1,000 miles of railway track and whose enterprises made York a major commercial and transport hub, becomes known as 'the Railway King'.
Art and scienceDisraeli's Coningsby is published. The first of his 1840s 'Young England' trilogy, it was the cultural manifesto of Disraeli's vision for a new Conservativism.
David Octavius Hill and Robert Adamson set up their innovative and pioneering photography studio in Edinburgh, capturing portraits of both Scottish society figures and workers, as well as urban and rural landscape scenes.
InternationalTensions continue to mount in Eastern Europe over Russian imperialist ambitions, as Tsar Nicholas I describes the Ottoman Empire as 'the Sick Man of Europe'.
With the overthrow of the Haitians, the Spanish-speaking portion of the island of Hispaniola gains independence, as the Dominican Republic.
Watch our playlist exploring scientific techniques used by the Gallery to unlock the secrets behind our Tudor portraits.
Subjects and themes
Search the collection by themes - from pets to weddings!
Black History Month
Take a tour exploring our Collection created by Alayo Akinkugbe for Black History Month in 2020.
A Picture of Health
Learn about pioneers in medicine, health and social reform from 1840 to 1920.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.