The Adamson Family
1 portrait of Mrs Alexander Adamson
The Adamson Family
by David Octavius Hill, and Robert Adamson
calotype, circa 1844-1845
7 1/8 in. x 5 5/8 in. (181 mm x 143 mm)
Given by an anonymous donor, 1973
Artistsback to top
Sittersback to top
- Alexander Adamson (1814-1888), Brother of Robert Adamson. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Mrs Alexander Adamson. Sitter associated with 1 portrait.
- John Adamson (1810-1870), Chemist; brother of Robert Adamson. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Melville Adamson (born 1825), Sister of Robert Adamson. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Robert Adamson (1821-1848), Pioneer photographer. Sitter in 3 portraits, Artist associated with 382 portraits.
- Isabella Morrison Bell (née Adamson) (born 1822), Sister of Robert Adamson. Sitter in 3 portraits.
Portrait setback to top
Events of 1844back to top
Current affairsBritain experiences a railway boom. Peel's government passes a series of Acts creating provision of cheap, regular rail services. George Hudson, the first great railway entrepreneur, who controlled over 1,000 miles of railway track and whose enterprises made York a major commercial and transport hub, becomes known as 'the Railway King'.
Art and scienceDisraeli's Coningsby is published. The first of his 1840s 'Young England' trilogy, it was the cultural manifesto of Disraeli's vision for a new Conservativism, uniting the two nations of the rich and poor.
David Octavius Hill and Robert Adamson set up their innovative and pioneering photography studio in Edinburgh, capturing portraits of both Scottish society figures and workers, as well as urban and rural landscape scenes.
InternationalTensions continue to mount in Eastern Europe over Russian imperialist ambitions, as Tsar Nicholas I describes the Ottoman Empire as 'the Sick Man of Europe'.
With the overthrow of the Haitians, the Spanish-speaking portion of the island of Hispaniola gains independence, as the Dominican Republic.
Tell us more
Help us conserve a portrait of a female adventurer, poet and medical pioneer