13 of 166 portraits by Michael Dahl
- Extended Catalogue Entry
by Michael Dahl
oil on canvas, 1719
40 1/2 in. x 31 1/4 in. (1029 mm x 794 mm)
Artistback to top
- Michael Dahl (1659-1743), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 166 portraits, Sitter in 2 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Ingamells, John, Later Stuart Portraits 1685-1714, 2009, p. 2
- Piper, David, The development of the British literary portrait up to Samuel Johnson, 1970, plate XXX
- Piper, David, Catalogue of Seventeenth Century Portraits in the National Portrait Gallery, 1625-1714, 1963, p. 2
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 5
Events of 1719back to top
Current affairsSpanish invasion of Scotland fails. British forces defeat an alliance of Jacobite and Spanish forces led by George Keith, 10th Earl Marischal, amongst others, at the Battle of Glen Shiel.
South Sea Company proposes a scheme under which it will buy more than half of Britain's national debt in exchange for trading concessions.
Art and sciencePugilist James Figg claims to be the first English bare-knuckle boxing champion; a title he will hold until the 1730s.
Eliza Haywood launches her writing career with the best-selling novel Love in Excess, recounting the amorous escapades of the rake Count D'Elmont.
Daniel Defoe publishes his novel Robinson Crusoe.
InternationalWar of the Quadruple Alliance: French army under James FitzJames, 1st Duke of Berwick invades the Basque provinces of Spain but suffers heavy losses due to disease. George Byng, 1st Viscount Torrington assists in the taking of Messina and destroys the remaining Spanish fleet.
Prussia conducts Europe's first systematic census.
Principality of Liechtenstein is created within the Holy Roman Empire.