Group of fifteen, including Queen Victoria
1 of 4 portraits of Mary Elizabeth (née Bulteel), Lady Ponsonby
Group of fifteen, including Queen Victoria
by W. & D. Downey
albumen print, 25 May 1868
Artistback to top
- W. & D. Downey (active 1855-1940), Photographers. Artist associated with 936 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- Prince Leopold, Duke of Albany (1853-1884), Fourth and youngest son of Queen Victoria. Sitter associated with 61 portraits.
- Prince Arthur, 1st Duke of Connaught and Strathearn (1850-1942), Field Marshal, Governor General of Canada; son of Queen Victoria. Sitter associated with 159 portraits.
- Anne, Duchess of Atholl (1814-1897), Wife of 6th Duke of Atholl. Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Princess Beatrice of Battenberg (1857-1944), Fifth and youngest daughter of Queen Victoria; wife of Prince Henry of Battenberg. Sitter associated with 102 portraits.
- Mr Collins. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- King Edward VII (1841-1910), Reigned 1901-10. Sitter associated with 505 portraits. Identify
- Sir Howard Crauford Elphinstone (1829-1890), Colonel. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Sir William Carter Hoffmeister (1817-1890), Physician. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Princess Louise Caroline Alberta, Duchess of Argyll (1848-1939), Artist, sculptor and fourth daughter of Queen Victoria. Sitter associated with 94 portraits, Artist associated with 1 portrait.
- Miss Macgregor. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Mademoiselle Norele. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Sir Henry Frederick Ponsonby (1825-1895), Army officer and royal courtier. Sitter in 9 portraits.
- Mary Elizabeth (née Bulteel), Lady Ponsonby (1832-1916), Royal courtier and advocate of women's advancement; wife of Sir Henry Frederick Ponsonby; daughter of John Crocker Bulteel. Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Sir Christopher Charles Teesdale (1833-1893), Major-General and courtier; recipient of the Victoria Cross. Sitter in 10 portraits.
- Queen Victoria (1819-1901), Reigned 1837-1901. Sitter associated with 546 portraits, Artist associated with 5 portraits. Identify
This portraitback to top
The Queen poses in the left foreground with five of her children including Edward, Prince of Wales. They are seen in front of the new castle which Prince Albert, with the help of the Aberdeen builder and architect, William Smith, designed in an eclectic mixture of styles.
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: Scotland, Aberdeenshire (Balmoral Castle, Aberdeenshire, Scotland)
Portrait setback to top
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1868back to top
Current affairsFollowing the Earl of Derby's resignation, Benjamin Disraeli becomes Prime Minister. However, following a near immediate Liberal election victory, he is replaced as Prime Minister by Gladstone. Gladstone sets out his mission to 'pacify Ireland'.
Separately, the first meeting of the Trades Union Congress (TUC) is held in Manchester.
Public executions are abolished, and are moved from outside Newgate gaol to inside the prison.
Art and scienceWilkie Collins's The Moonstone published. Credited with writing the first sensation novel The Woman in White, Collins's claims another first here, as the mystery surrounding the disappearance of the Herncastle diamond, is recognised as one of the first detective novels.
InternationalAn uprising against Spanish rule in Cuba sparks off the Ten Years' War, in which 200,000 lives are lost. Cubans in the eastern provinces unite under wealthy planter Carlos Manuel de Cespedes. Another armed uprising takes place against Spanish rule in the town of Lares in Puerto Rico, known as the 'Grito de Lares'.
Read our latest news and have your say.
Identify our Silhouettes
Join enthusiastic contributors who have already identified 155 sitters.
Tell us more about our Silvy sitters
Help us identify the sitters who visited Camille Silvy’s photographic studio during the 1860s.
- The World's Most Photographed
- Queen Victoria Trail
- Prince Albert Trail
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Alexandra of Denmark
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection - M-Z
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- The Beautiful and the Damned
- Conquering England
- Punch's artists
- Thomas Hardy
- Photographic holdings - Albums 76-162
- Lives and Letters