The St John's Wood Arts Club, 1895
2 of 2 portraits of Arthur Hopkins
The St John's Wood Arts Club, 1895
by Sydney Prior Hall
black crayon, white and grey paint on paper, circa 1895
15 1/4 in. x 11 1/4 in. (387 mm x 285 mm)
Given by Colonel A.C.B. Clayton on behalf of the St John's Wood Arts Club, 1964
Artistback to top
- Sydney Prior Hall (1842-1922), Portrait painter and illustrator. Artist associated with 152 portraits, Sitter in 2 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- Sir Lawrence Alma-Tadema (1836-1912), Painter. Sitter in 40 portraits, Artist associated with 5 portraits. (In this portrait) Identify
- John Bagnold Burgess (1829-1897), Painter. Sitter in 2 portraits, Artist of 1 portrait. Identify
- John Collier (1850-1934), Portrait painter and writer on art. Sitter in 7 portraits, Artist associated with 22 portraits. (In this portrait) Identify
- (Edward) Onslow Ford (1852-1901), Sculptor. Sitter in 10 portraits, Artist associated with 8 portraits. (In this portrait) Identify
- Arthur Hacker (1858-1919), Painter. Sitter in 6 portraits. (In this portrait) Identify
- Arthur Hopkins (1848-1930), Illustrator; landscape and coastal painter. Sitter in 2 portraits. (In this portrait) Identify
- Walter Dendy Sadler (1854-1923), Genre painter. Sitter in 2 portraits. (In this portrait) Identify
- Charles Francis Annesley Voysey (1857-1941), Architect and designer. Sitter in 9 portraits. (In this portrait) Identify
This portraitback to top
The St John's Wood Arts Club was founded as a social meeting place for artists living and working in the area in London. The painter Arthur Hacker is shown here at its inaugural dinner, tracing Alma-Tadema's silhouette for a frieze at the Club made up of its members' shadow portraits. Alma-Tadema moved to Grove End Road in St John's Wood in 1886, extensively remodelled his home to his own designs, and created another social hub with his Tuesday evening dinners and concerts. This image was published as an engraving in the Graphic, 23 February 1895
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 720
Placesback to top
- Place portrayed: United Kingdom: England, London (St John's Wood Arts Club, Westminster, London)
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Artist and Evangelist: Lives Remembered (14 August 2012 - 24 March 2013)
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1895back to top
Current affairsOscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest is first performed, the same year that he is imprisoned for homosexual offences following accusations made against him by the eighth Marquess of Queensbury. Whilst in prison, Wilde wrote De Profundis, a letter addressed to his former lover, Queensbury's son Lord Alfred Douglas, attacking him for his role in Wilde's imprisonment.
Prime Minister Lord Rosebery resigns and is succeeded by Salisbury.
Art and scienceThe Lumiere brothers hold the first public screening of movies at Paris's Salon Indien du Grand Café, featuring ten short films recorded with Leon Bouly's cinematographe device, recognised as the birth of cinema as a commercial medium.
Henry Irving, the celebrated actor and theatre manager, becomes the first actor to receive a knighthood.
InternationalIn South Africa, prompted by the growing unrest of unfranchised British immigrants (Uitlanders) drawn to the Transvaal by the discovery of gold, Rhodes and other members of the South African mining community begin to plot the republic's overthrow. As a result, the disastrous Jameson Raid takes place, carried out on Paul Kruger's Transvaal Republic by Leander Starr Jameson and his Rhodesian and Bechuanaland policemen: it fails to bring about an Uitlander uprising.
Watch our playlist exploring scientific techniques used by the Gallery to unlock the secrets behind our Tudor portraits.
Subjects and themes
Search the collection by themes - from pets to weddings!
Black History Month
Take a tour exploring our Collection created by Alayo Akinkugbe for Black History Month in 2020.
A Picture of Health
Learn about pioneers in medicine, health and social reform from 1840 to 1920.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.