Anne of Bohemia
Anne of Bohemia
by Elkington & Co, cast by Domenico Brucciani, after Nicholas Broker, and Godfrey Prest
electrotype, 1873, based on a work of circa 1395-1397
29 in. (737 mm) high
Artistsback to top
- Nicholas Broker (circa 1350-1426), Sculptor. Artist associated with 2 portraits.
- Domenico Brucciani (1815-1880), Sculptor. Artist associated with 23 portraits.
- Elkington & Co, Sculptors. Artist associated with 22 portraits.
- Godfrey Prest (active 1377-1395), Sculptor. Artist associated with 2 portraits.
This portraitback to top
This electrotype is a copy from the upper part of the gilt bronze effigy of the queen on the double tomb with her husband Richard II at Westminster Abbey, commissioned by Richard in 1395. It is one of a series of electrotype reproductions of tomb effigies made for the National Portrait Gallery by Elkington & Co in the 1870s. An electrotype sculpture of this type is made by electro-deposition of copper onto a mould or cast of an object. The electrotype could then be patinated like bronze.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 14
- Strong, Roy, Tudor and Jacobean Portraits, 1969, p. 4
- Williamson, David, Kings and Queens, 2010, p. 59
- Williamson, David, The National Portrait Gallery: History of the Kings and Queens of England, 1998, p. 63
Develop your art skills
Discover our BP Next Generation short films made by artists. Follow step by step guides in drawing and painting techniques.
Hold Still photography workshop
Reflect on your own experiences of lockdown through this easy-to-do from home, photographic exercise.
Draw Like a Renaissance Master
Revisit The Encounter exhibition and learn about Renaissance and Baroque drawing methods and materials.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.