by Unknown English artist
oil on panel, late 16th century, based on a work of circa 1533-1536
21 3/8 in. x 16 3/8 in. (543 mm x 416 mm)
Sitterback to top
- Anne Boleyn (circa 1500-1536), Second Queen of Henry VIII. Sitter associated with 26 portraits.
This portraitback to top
This painting is probably based on a contemporary portrait which no longer survives. Boleyn was described as having a long neck, wide mouth and with 'eyes which were black and beautiful'. This portrait has recently undergone structural conservation following a successful fundraising campaign and the generous support of public donations.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Tudor Portraits Resource Pack, p. 17
- National Portrait Gallery: 100 Portraits, p. 17
- Audio Guide
- Bolland, Charlotte; Cooper, Tarnya, The Real Tudors: Kings and Queens Rediscovered, 2014 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 12th September 2014 to 1st March 2015), p. 38
- Cannadine, Sir David (Introduction); Cooper, Tarnya; Stewart, Louise; MacGibbon, Rab; Cox, Paul; Peltz, Lucy; Moorhouse, Paul; Broadley, Rosie; Jascot-Gill, Sabina ., Tudors to Windsors: British Royal Portraits, 2018 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, Texas, USA, 7 October 2018 -3 February 2019. Bendigo Art Gallery, Australia, 16 March - 14 July 2019.), p. 89
- Clare Gittings, The National Portrait Gallery Book of Elizabeth I, 2006, p. 2
- Cooper, Tarnya (introduction) Banville, John (character sketch) Chevalier, Tracy (character sketch) Fellowes, Julian (character sketch) McCall Smith, Alexander (character sketch) Pratchett, Terry (character sketch) Singleton, Sarah (character sketch) Trollope, Joanna (character sketch) Waters, Minette (character sketch), Imagined Lives: Portraits of Unknown People, 2011 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from December 2011 - June 2012), p. 87
- Gittings, Clare, The National Portrait Gallery Book of The Tudors, 2006, p. 11
- MacLeod, Catharine, Tudor Portraits in the National Portrait Gallery Collection, 1996, p. 17
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 14
- Strong, Roy, Tudor and Jacobean Portraits, 1969, p. 5
- Tarnya Cooper, Elizabeth I & Her People, 2013 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 10 October 2013 - 5 January 2014), p. 206
- Various contributors, National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain, 2014, p. 35
- Williamson, David, Kings and Queens, 2010, p. 88
- Williamson, David, The National Portrait Gallery: History of the Kings and Queens of England, 1998, p. 88
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Double Take: versions and Copies of Tudor Portraits (25 June 2012 - 12 September 2012)
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1533back to top
Current affairsKing Henry VIII secretly marries Anne Boleyn in January although his marriage to Catherine of Aragon is not annulled until May. Anne is crowned Queen in June.
Pope Clement VII excommunicates Henry VIII for bigamy.
Princess Elizabeth (later Queen Elizabeth I) is born at Greenwich in September
Thomas Cranmer becomes Archbishop of Canterbury.
Art and scienceThe German artist Hans Holbein the Younger paints The Ambassadors.
InternationalPeace treaty between Ferdinand I, Archduke of Austria and Suleiman I, Sultan of the Ottoman Empire divides Hungary into areas under Hapsburg and Ottoman control.
The Spanish conquistador Francisco Pizarro executes Atahulpa, emperor of the Incas, and marches on the Inca capital Cuzco (in present-day Peru).
See this portrait
On display in Room 1 at the National Portrait Gallery
- Conservation treatment of a portrait of Anne Boleyn
- WebQuest: Henry VIII's Next Wife?
- Thank you for supporting the conservation of the portrait of Anne Boleyn
- Picturing History: A portrait set of early English kings and queens
- WebQuest: Henry VIII - Man Versus Myth
- The Conservation of the portrait of John Donne
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Recent acquisition: John Donne
- On panel making and the post-1600 Holbein panels
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Shakespeare quiz
- Tudor pick up guides