Possibly Jane Austen
1 of 5 portraits of Jane Austen
- Extended Catalogue Entry
Possibly Jane Austen
by Unknown artist
hollow-cut silhouette, circa 1800-1815
4 in. x 3 1/8 in. (102 mm x 80 mm)
This portraitback to top
Jane Austen's third published novel (Mansfield Park), appeared in 1814, although it had been begun in 1811. This copy contained a silhouette in the back and the second volume inscribed L'aimable Jane, which may represent Jane Austen. As her biographer, R.W. Chapman, said 'Who would insert, in a copy of Mansfield Park, a portrait of any other Jane than its author?'
Linked publicationsback to top
- Holmes, Richard, The Romantic Poets and Their Circle, 2013, p. 117
- Holmes, Richard, Insights: The Romantic Poets and Their Circle, 2005, p. 98
- Ross, Josephine, Jane Austen and her World, 2017, p. 120
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 24
- Walker, Richard, Regency Portraits, 1985, p. 16
Events of 1800back to top
Current affairsWidespread food riots after poor harvests of 1798-9. Theorist, Thomas Malthus, controversially argues that poverty and food shortages are an inevitable consequence of population growth, challenging assumptions that populousness was a sign of national prosperity and power. His thesis contributed forcefully to the debate over the existing Poor Law.
Art and scienceWilliam Wordsworth publishes his Preface to the Lyrical Ballads; a retrospective explanation of his experimental poems written with Samuel Taylor Coleridge. It becomes one of the best-known manifestos of Romantic literature.
InternationalLord Castlereagh, Chief Secretary for Ireland, is the main architect of the Act of Union under which Ireland is merged with Great Britain and the Irish parliament is abolished.
British troops support successful uprising by Maltese against the French.
Napoleon is victorious against Austrians at Marengo and reconquers Italy.
Exhibitions and displays
- 1517: Martin Luther and the English Reformation
Until 2 December
- His Picture in Little: Shakespeare, Hamlet and Tacita Dean
Until 28 May
- Votes for Women
Until 3 June
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Chartist Portraits
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Rebel women test
- Portrait of the Day: Angela Burdett-Coutts
11 May, 12:30
- Portrait of the Day: Henry VIII & Katherine of Aragon
13 May, 12:30