Sir Nicholas Bacon
Sir Nicholas Bacon
by Unknown artist
oil on panel, inscribed 1579
24 3/4 in. x 19 1/4 in. (629 mm x 491 mm)
Sitterback to top
- Sir Nicholas Bacon (1510-1579), Lord Keeper of the Great Seal. Sitter associated with 14 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Bacon is shown here holding his staff of office and the 'burse', a bag containing the seal, embroidered with Elizabeth's royal coat of arms. He wears an elaborate jewel, which is probably a whistle, at his chest. The inscription at the top right can be translated as 'the middle course is most secure'.
Related worksback to top
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 28
- Strong, Roy, Tudor and Jacobean Portraits, 1969, p. 15
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1579back to top
Current affairsDuring his circumnavigation of the globe, Sir Francis Drake sails up the west coast of North America and asserts English sovereignty over New Albion (present-day California).
Rebellion in Munster, Ireland, against English rule.
Art and scienceThe cartographer Christopher Saxton publishes the first atlas of England and Wales.
The poet and administrator Edmund Spenser publishes The Shepheardes Calender.
Nicholas Bacon is painted in his role as Lord Keeper of the Great Seal to Elizabeth I.
InternationalThe division of the Netherlands. The Union of Utrecht unites the northern, Protestant provinces marking the foundation of the Dutch Republic. The southern, Catholic provinces are reconciled with Philip II of Spain though the Union of Arras.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- 'This sceptred isle': Shakespeare and the Plantagenets
Until 31 May 2020
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Brilliant Women
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Chartist Portraits
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- 2019 Anniversaries
- Portrait of the Day: Richard III
26 July, 12:30