- Extended Catalogue Entry
by John Opie
oil on canvas, circa 1785-1790
35 1/2 in. x 27 3/4 in. (900 mm x 705 mm)
Given by G.P. Everett Green, 1866
Sitterback to top
- Francesco Bartolozzi (1727-1815), Engraver. Sitter in 16 portraits, Artist associated with 164 portraits.
Artistback to top
- John Opie (1761-1807), Portrait and history painter. Artist associated with 148 portraits, Sitter in 13 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Ingamells, John, National Portrait Gallery: Mid-Georgian Portraits 1760-1790, 2004, p. 39
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 37
Events of 1785back to top
Current affairsGeorge Prince of Wales secretly marries his mistress Maria Fitzherbert in contravention of the Royal Marriages Act of 1772.
Prime Minister William Pitt introduces a bill proposing parliamentary reform and the abolition of 'rotten boroughs' but is defeated.
Art and scienceWilliam Cowper publishes his best -known poem The Task.
James Boswell publishes The Journal of a Tour to the Hebrides, narrating his travels with the late writer Samuel Johnson.
Physician and naturalist James Hutton presents his studies of local rocks to the Royal Society of Edinburgh, launching the era of scientific geology.
InternationalWarren Hastings resigns as Governor-General of Bengal and returns to England. His trial begins on charges of corruption in the administration of India.
French sculptor Jean Antoine Houdon crosses the Atlantic to sculpt a statue of George Washington.
British government establishes a permanent land force in the Eastern Caribbean, based in Barbados.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- Gainsborough's Family Album
From 22 November