The Derby Cabinet of 1867
1 of 8 portraits of James Howard Harris, 3rd Earl of Malmesbury
The Derby Cabinet of 1867
by Henry Gales
30 in. x 47 1/2 in. (762 mm x 1207 mm)
Sittersback to top
- Benjamin Disraeli, Earl of Beaconsfield (1804-1881), Prime Minister and novelist; Trustee of the National Portrait Gallery. Sitter associated with 110 portraits. Identify
- Richard Grenville, 3rd Duke of Buckingham and Chandos (1823-1889), Lieutenant, politician; MP for Buckinghamshire and Governor of Madras; ex-officio Trustee of the National Portrait Gallery. Sitter in 7 portraits. Identify
- Frederick Thesiger, 1st Baron Chelmsford (1794-1878), Lord Chancellor. Sitter in 15 portraits. Identify
- Henry Thomas Lowry Corry (1803-1873), First Lord of the Admiralty and politician; MP for Tyrone. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- Gathorne Gathorne-Hardy, 1st Earl of Cranbrook (1814-1906), Politician, Home Secretary and Secretary of State for War; ex-officio Trustee of the National Portrait Gallery. Sitter in 29 portraits. Identify
- Edward Stanley, 14th Earl of Derby (1799-1869), Prime Minister. Sitter in 105 portraits. Identify
- Edward Henry Stanley, 15th Earl of Derby (1826-1893), Politician, Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs and diarist; Trustee of the National Portrait Gallery. Sitter in 57 portraits. Identify
- John Somerset Pakington, 1st Baron Hampton (1799-1880), Politician, First Lord of the Admiralty and Secretary of State for War. Sitter in 12 portraits. Identify
- Sir Stafford Henry Northcote, 1st Earl of Iddesleigh (1818-1887), Politician; Chancellor of the Exchequer and Secretary of State for India. Sitter in 33 portraits. Identify
- James Howard Harris, 3rd Earl of Malmesbury (1807-1889), Statesman. Sitter in 8 portraits. Identify
- John Winston Spencer Churchill, 7th Duke of Marlborough (1822-1883), Conservative politician; MP for Woodstock; grandfather of Sir Winston Churchill; ex-officio Trustee of the National Portrait Gallery. Sitter in 19 portraits. Identify
- Richard Southwell Bourke, 6th Earl of Mayo (1822-1872), Viceroy and Governor-General of India. Sitter in 6 portraits. Identify
- Charles Henry Gordon-Lennox, 6th Duke of Richmond, 6th Duke of Lennox and 1st Duke of Gordon (1818-1903), President of the Board of Trade, landowner and Conservative politician; MP for Sussex West. Sitter in 24 portraits. Identify
- John James Robert Manners, 7th Duke of Rutland (1818-1906), Politician, First Commissioner of Works and MP for several constituencies. Sitter in 33 portraits. Identify
- Spencer Horatio Walpole (1806-1898), Politician; Home Secretary. Sitter in 16 portraits. Identify
Linked publicationsback to top
- Lloyd, Stephen (ed.), Art, animals and politics : Knowsley and the Earls of Derby, 2016, p. 193
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 721
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1868back to top
Current affairsFollowing the Earl of Derby's resignation, Benjamin Disraeli becomes Prime Minister. However, following a near immediate Liberal election victory, he is replaced as Prime Minister by Gladstone. Gladstone sets out his mission to 'pacify Ireland'.
Separately, the first meeting of the Trades Union Congress (TUC) is held in Manchester.
Public executions are abolished, and are moved from outside Newgate gaol to inside the prison.
Art and scienceWilkie Collins's The Moonstone published. Credited with writing the first sensation novel The Woman in White, Collins's claims another first here, as the mystery surrounding the disappearance of the Herncastle diamond, is recognised as one of the first detective novels.
InternationalAn uprising against Spanish rule in Cuba sparks off the Ten Years' War, in which 200,000 lives are lost. Cubans in the eastern provinces unite under wealthy planter Carlos Manuel de Cespedes. Another armed uprising takes place against Spanish rule in the town of Lares in Puerto Rico, known as the 'Grito de Lares'.
Watch our playlist exploring scientific techniques used by the Gallery to unlock the secrets behind our Tudor portraits.
Subjects and themes
Search the collection by themes - from pets to weddings!
Black History Month
Take a tour exploring our Collection created by Alayo Akinkugbe for Black History Month in 2020.
A Picture of Health
Learn about pioneers in medicine, health and social reform from 1840 to 1920.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.