- Extended Catalogue Entry
after Sir James Thornhill
oil on canvas, based on a work of 1710
50 in. x 40 1/4 in. (1270 mm x 1022 mm)
Sitterback to top
- Richard Bentley (1662-1742), Classical scholar; Master of Trinity College, Cambridge. Sitter in 3 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Sir James Thornhill (1675 or 1676-1734), Father-in-law of William Hogarth, decorative painter and politician; MP for Weymouth and Melcombe Regis. Artist associated with 23 portraits, Sitter associated with 14 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Ingamells, John, Later Stuart Portraits 1685-1714, 2009, p. 23
- Ollard, Richard, Character Sketches: Samuel Pepys and His Circle, 2000, p. 47
- Ollard, Richard, Pepys and his Contemporaries, 2015, p. 73
- Piper, David, Catalogue of Seventeenth Century Portraits in the National Portrait Gallery, 1625-1714, 1963, p. 26
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 51
Events of 1710back to top
Current affairsClergyman Henry Sacheverell is impeached on account of his sermons in which he attacks the Whig government and the revolution settlement of 1688-9. The trial caused rioting, and revived Jacobites sentiments and resentment against the government.
Robert Harley, Earl of Oxford, returns to Parliament as Chancellor of the Exchequer.