Mr Fox and his Friends
1 of 4 portraits of Frederick Ponsonby, 3rd Earl of Bessborough
- Extended Catalogue Entry
Mr Fox and his Friends
by William Lane
black crayon with red and white heightening on tinted paper, circa 1813
21 in. x 27 1/2 in. (533 mm x 699 mm)
Sittersback to top
- Frederick Ponsonby, 3rd Earl of Bessborough (1758-1844), British peer; Lord of the Admiralty 1782-83. Sitter in 4 portraits. Identify
- George James Cholmondeley, 1st Marquess of Cholmondeley (1749-1827), Chamberlain to the Prince of Wales. Sitter associated with 16 portraits. Identify
- John Crewe, 1st Baron Crewe (1742-1829), Politician; MP for Cheshire and Stafford. Sitter in 4 portraits. Identify
- William Cavendish, 5th Duke of Devonshire (1748-1811), Lord High Treasurer of Ireland. Sitter in 8 portraits. Identify
- Richard Fitzpatrick (1748-1813), General, poet and politician; MP for Tavistock and Bedfordshire. Sitter associated with 7 portraits. Identify
- William Wentworth Fitzwilliam, 2nd Earl Fitzwilliam (1748-1833), Lord-Lieutenant of Ireland. Sitter in 13 portraits. Identify
- Charles James Fox (1749-1806), Whig statesman. Sitter associated with 307 portraits.
- Henry Richard Fox (later Vassall), 3rd Baron Holland (1773-1840), Whig statesman and patron of art and letters. Sitter associated with 57 portraits. Identify
- Dudley Long North (1748-1829), Politician; MP for St Germans, Great Grimsby, Banbury Richmond and Haddington Burghs. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- Andrew St John, 14th Baron St John (1759-1817). Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- Lord Robert Spencer (1747-1831), Third son of 3rd Duke of Marlborough. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- Lord John Townshend (1757-1833), Politician; Joint Paymaster of the Forces. Sitter associated with 9 portraits. Identify
- John Fitzpatrick, 2nd Earl of Upper Ossory (1745-1818), Irish Peer and politician: MP for Bedfordshire. Sitter associated with 5 portraits. Identify
Linked publicationsback to top
- Ingamells, John, National Portrait Gallery: Mid-Georgian Portraits 1760-1790, 2004, p. 512
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 715
Events of 1813back to top
Current affairsMachine breaking Luddite Riots end with seventeen executions in York. Radical John Cartwright's subsequent tour of the manufacturing districts has some success in quelling Luddite discontent with the foundation of the Hampden reform club network across the country.
East India Company is deprived of monopoly over trade with India.
Art and scienceMillenarian prophet Joanna Southcott, made famous by her visions of the second coming of Christ, announces herself 'with child' by the Holy Ghost.
Jane Austen publishes Pride and Prejudice.
InternationalVictorious Battle of St Pierre near Bayonne led by General Rowland Hill.
Battle of Leipzig ends in defeat for Napoleon.
Wellington's victory at Vittoria leads to British invasion of Southern France.
Americans capture and burn Toronto, defeat British in Battle of Lake Erie and recapture Detroit.