Sir Richard Bingham
Sir Richard Bingham
by Unknown artist
oil on panel, 1564
23 in. x 19 1/2 in. (584 mm x 495 mm)
Sitterback to top
- Sir Richard Bingham (1528-1599), Soldier and Governor of Connaught. Sitter associated with 2 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 57
- Strong, Roy, Tudor and Jacobean Portraits, 1969, p. 22
Events of 1564back to top
Current affairsNegotiations are held to marry Queen Elizabeth I to Charles, Archduke of Austria.
Sir Robert Dudley is made Earl of Leicester.
Art and scienceThe poet and dramatist William Shakespeare is born at Stratford-upon-Avon.
InternationalPhillip II of Spain orders that the decrees of the Council of Trent be enforced throughout his territories.
The strict application of Spanish Catholicism in the Netherlands leads to Protestant resistance under by William of Orange.
Death of the Holy Roman Emperor Ferdinand I of Austria and the succession of his son Maximilian II as Holy Roman Emperor and King of Austria, Bohemia and Hungary.
Enter our Jubilee family competition
Submit your family’s recreation of a Royal portrait to win some Jubilee goodiesEnter now
Develop your art skills
Discover our BP Next Generation short films made by artists. Follow step by step guides in drawing and painting techniques.
Hold Still photography workshop
Reflect on your own experiences of lockdown through this easy-to-do from home, photographic exercise.
Draw Like a Renaissance Master
Revisit The Encounter exhibition and learn about Renaissance and Baroque drawing methods and materials.
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Icons and Identities: Shakespeare to Winehouse
Until 17 July
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.